Most people don’t like visiting their dentist. Not surprisingly a lot of people can get scared when it comes to having metal hooks and drills put in their mouth. Funnily enough, the best way to avoid painful visits to the dentist is to make regular visits to your hygienist – Preventative Dentistry. It is recommended that people should visit the dental hygienist every 6 months so as to avoid cavities and other oral health issues which will require more painful visits to your dentist.
At Oriel Villas Dental in Cheltenham we have an onsite dental hygienist. A typical visit consists of the following:
- Dental hygiene examination – firstly they will examine your teeth, gums and mouth to look for plaque build ups or any other symptoms. If you make regular visits to the hygienist and look after your teeth properly in between visits, you should have no problems here.
- Scale and Polish – scale and polish is another way of describing dental cleaning. It is called scale and polish because at our Cheltenham clinic it is a two stage procedure. During the first step the hygienist will remove the plaque from your teeth and gums. Plaque or calculus builds up around your teeth and gums and is a fertile breeding ground for bacteria which can lead to cavities and worse. Plaque is removed using an ultrasonic instrument in the first instance. This ultrasonic device removes larger pieces of tartar by creating vibrations which separate it from your teeth. Fine tools will then be used to remove the remaining tartar which will be scraped off. Once all the tartar is removed, your hygienist will polish your teeth. Polishing is done with a slow speed hand piece with a soft rubber cup that spins on the end.
- Daily dental hygiene advice – once your oral health has been examined and your teeth have been thoroughly cleaned your professional hygienist will then discuss your dental hygiene habits with you. You will get some feedback on the effectiveness of your oral health routine and some tips (if needed) about how to improve them.
- Fluoride Therapy – this is only for patients who are at high risk. You will need to have your teeth covered with a layer of fluoride which helps to protect them from decay.
Preventative Dentistry is important!
So, it is worth my while visiting the dental hygienist I hear you ask. Well that decision is your own but here are some of the advantages that our patients have reported from making the visit.
- The main advantage of visiting a hygienist is the old saying that a stitch in time saves nine. By visiting the hygienist and removing the causes of dental problems before they take effect you can avoid painful time spent in the dentist’s chair later on. A visit to the hygienist should be comfortable and relatively pain free especially when compared to the time spent getting fillings or being treated for gum disease.
- Lots of people love total clean feeling they get on their teeth after a visit the hygienist. They have told us they can’t stop running their tongue around their mouth after they have visited the hygienist.
- You can brush up on your dental hygiene habits. Some of our patients were amazed to find out they had not been brushing their teeth correctly for over 40 years. The next time they returned to have their teeth cleaned, there was noticeably less plaque after building up.
If you are around the Cheltenham area and are interested in visiting our dental hygienist for a professional teeth cleaning, a check-up or just having a chat about your dental hygiene routine, then get in touch to arrange an appointment. At Oriel Villas, conveniently located in Cheltenham our hygienist is highly qualified and has many years experience helping patients with preventative dentistry.